Re: [gtk-list] Re: vi bindings, emacs bindings, and all other bindings

On 9 Jul 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

> CUA was basically an IBM-created standard that was the basis for
> things like Motif, earlier versions of Windows, and quite a
> few other things. I think the current consensus "standard" has

	CUA was a great idea, and it's current morph (after the mac-style
extensions, etc) is something I look forward to.  WHile it was an IBM
standard (and most people shudder at that), I think it is a very useful
thing.  Most toolkits these days seem to support the basics, and this is
something that I always look for, as I have used enough CUA-style systems
to become accustomed to it.  I also use the Mac style cut/copy/paste
commands, and this they are an important default also.  The current GTK+
defaults (CUA/Mac/Emacs sunbset) are pretty much what I would look for in
a GUI, though I agree that some method of customization should exist.
	In fact, I often get bit while useing Xemacs, cause I try to use
Ctrl-X (cut), Ctrl-C (copy), and Ctrl-V (paste).  Obviously not emacs
bindings:-).  Course, I also sometimes type ":w!" in Xemacs also <grin>.

FOr those who are interested, CUA specifies things like:
Alt-F4: close window
Alt-F10: desktop menu
Ctrl-Delete: cut
Ctrl-Insert: copy
Shift-Insert: paste
and some others for maximisze, etc.

Usually, the C-x, C-c, C-v max bindings for cut/copy/paste are added these
days also.

Joel

--

"The whole principle is wrong; it's like demanding that grown men
 live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak."

                                  jlbec@ocala.cs.miami.edu
                                  gr311@cleveland.freenet.edu
                                  http://ocala.cs.miami.edu/~jlbec