Re: [gtk-list] Re: Adding support for 4 bit color

On 1 Jul 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Walt Pohl <pohl@math.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > The code for visuals is in gdkvisuals.c.  There's an array of possible
> > depths, called possible_depths, and you would need to add 4 to that (and
> > add one to npossible_depths).  Also, you would probably need to edit
> > gdk_init_visuals -- it ranks the best visuals for a depth, and for 8 bit
> > color, it chooses GDK_PSEUDO_COLOR, otherwise it chooses GDK_TRUE_COLOR.
> > Presumably for 4 bit color, GDK_PSEUDO_COLOR is also the best choice.  Let
> > me know if you have any problems.
>
> Actually, for 4 bit color, you probably want StaticColor, (or maybe
> TrueColor - 3x2x2 color cube?). If programs just allocated the first
> 16 colors they wanted into the 16-space color map (14 actually, white
> + black are always preallocated), you'd probably end up with 16 grays
> or 16 blues, or something - it is better to let the server pick
> a small fixed palette (which is what StaticColor is).

The list of possible types isn't related to the depths directly,
and as far as I can tell this is just gotton from the Xserver, which
makes the patch to gdk extremely trivial.

I am curious about the array available_depths[4] in gdkvisuals.c.
It seems to me this should be much larger.  Am I missing something?
I would assume this should be the same as the possible_depths.

I've committed a patch in the 1.1 branch (3 entire lines) which makes
4 bit screens work with gdk.  As with 1 bit, GtkPreview and GIMP both
have problems of there own, but most other widgets work fine.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking