range control

Hi there,

my gtk documentation lacks some information that
I need - about the range control widget.

What I would like to do is control a variable with
that widget, and see the result of some function
depending on that variable being updated on-the-fly.

I know that the gimp has some filters that can be controled
this way. Any suggestions?

"In The Beginning Was The Word. Then Came The Fucking Word Processor.
 Then Came the Thought Processor. Then came The Death Of Literature.
 And So It Goes." The Poet - Hyperion