Re: [gtk-list] Re: vi bindings for text widgets

> Rude answers to that last question to /dev/null please!

  The kernel has been 'compromised' and /dev/null is now something else
  but a black hole :-) but this is not a rude answer (you can now
  push the Valium away :-)

> Please, no!

  I say the same.

> Why can we never break with the past and move forwards? Vi and Emacs and

  That's right, quite agree on that but...

> other such things were fine in their time, i.e the late 1970's and early

  I still think VI is a great editor even nowadays, well, not exactly Vi
  but VIM (VI iMproved) which is the one I use with syntax highligting etc.
  etc. etc. I do have a fat Nedit (sorry I don't have Motif and don't play
  to buy it either), it's fine but not as powerful. Also got CrispEdit Lite,
  also fine but same objection so I do all of my editing with Vi.

  Yet I don't believe adding 'vi' or 'emacs' support to any widget is a
  good idea with the current state of technology, even as a VI freak. I
  didn't enjoy implementing a cordless telephone in assembler (which I
  did :-) but then, there were no high-level languages for that processor.
  I believe the same analogy applies, why use assember if it can be done
  in C (most of the times...).

> But now we're in the late 1990's! We've got decent keyboards. We've got
> mice. We've got X.

  And 94MB of RAM :)

> Time to forget Vi and Emacs and move to Nedit, gedit and other modern editors!

  Well ViM still holds a special place in my brain.

> means that you can't just lean over a colleage's shoulder and type a couple
> of commands on his/her terminal (this happened to me a couple of weeks

  Same goes with the TermCap thing, here we have lots of different machines
  (Unices) and I can't get a decent works-the-same-on-all-platforms for
  my history mechanism. Different shells (Solaris is a constant pain in
  the neck), keybindings breaking across rlogins blah, blah, blah.

> got the chance in the early 1980's. I kept to a Vi clone when I spent 6
> years in the DOS wilderness 1988-1994. Then I got linux and X and moved
> over to Nedit.

  I am also glad to say that I left the Dos/WinCough before getting
  infected with Windows Malaria :-) Unix, C & Perl are the greatest.
  GUI kits there are several nice ones but I am quite satisfied with
  GTK so far.

			Cheers,
				Hooked On Vim

--
D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon       Compuware Europe B.V. (Uniface Lab)
Software Engineer	       Amsterdam, The Netherlands