Re: [gtk-list] Re: [patch] gtkviewport optimizations

On 28 Jan 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Patrice Fortier <Patrice.Fortier@aquarel.fr> writes:
>
> > I think this was a choice to optimize the number of windows
> > created. In an other hand I'm pretty sure that it'll bring some problems
> > on us sooner or later.
> > If Raster is reading this, he must be jumping on his seat like a
> > kangooroo (don't know the spelling in australian :)).
> > I don't consider thatit's safe for a widget to draw in an other one.
>
> Safety is not an issue. GTK was designed from the ground up
> to let widgets draw in their parent's window. Raster doesn't
> like it, because he likes setting background pixmaps all over
> the place. But even if we concede to that, there are still some
> widgets (like labels) that still could usefully draw in their
> parent's window.

Out of curiosity, why is it considered a good idea to have widgets draw in
the parent widget's window? This was done eons ago in Xt ("gadgets") as a
way to improve effiency by reducing the number of windows, but I think
that tradeoff is looked upon differently today.

Ulric