[gtk-list redhat com] Clearing window

Hello,
	How Do i clear a window layout?(meaning killing all its children?).
I'd like to have a button that changes the window layout, so i thought, i could
clear it up then redraw it.
I tried something like this

GtkWidget *window;

void first_layout()
{
	window = gtk_window_new() /* left out arguments to make codes short */

	/* lots of packings here */

	/* bind the second_layout function to a button  */

	button = gtk_button_new_with_label();
	gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(window),"clicked",
			GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(second_dialog),NULL);
	/* more here */
}
void second_layout()
{
	gtk_widget_destroy(window) /* call destroy to clear prev layout */
                                   /* is this a correct way to do it? */
	window = gtk_window_new();
	/* the rest of the stuff goes here for the second  layout */
}
so on and so forth...
	I tried this. The second_layout pops up real quick then the whole thing
just dies. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong..I am not sure if the,
gtk_widget_destroy() then rebuild it, approach is correct.
                                     		Thanks in advance,