Re: [gtk-list] Re: Window close signal

On Jan 16,  3:47pm, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Subject: [gtk-list] Re: Window close signal
>
> Rob McElrath <mcelrath@isp.nwu.edu> writes:
>
> > On a related note, the window manager destroy reports an X I/O error when
> > used...
>
> Not much that can be done about that. There is AFAIK no way of
> distinguishing the "destroy" function from the server crashing.
> In fact, Xlib doesn't provide any way of handling such events
> other than terminating the program.
>
> Try it with some other X programs.

	As I said before, xterm just complains about "broken pipe". would it be
possible, for example, if the Gtk app is not build using DEBUG options, that it
does NOT dump a core when such "crash" happen?

	Is there any X guru that knows how xterm handle such signal? Probably
it tests if the connection to the server is still present when trying to update
the window, no?

							No?
								Francois.

P.S.: At least, for the 1.0, you should not dump a core for an event that
"could" be "normal" for an end-user (my biologists or my children, but perhaps
yours also ;-), even if you know that this is not the way you should close a
window.
P.P.S.: For the FAQs (i know now I ask some also ;-), is there a way to make
the RedHat archives really browsable? I mean, just try to find an FAQ like
"wchars" using the mailing list search engine, it does not report any hit, even
if this was discussed several times... Not so easy to take the train without
the tools to know the history.
P.P.P.S.: My apps are in good progress now, and, really, Gdk/Gtk are gorgious,
for sure!
P.P.P.P.S. (Yep , it's monday, lot of ideas) : Would it be possible to have a
application-developper list, at RedHat or anywhere else. That will help you
distinguish between gtk bugs and usage questions. No?

No?

No?

No?

--
Francois Jeanmougin     | groupe de bioinformatique / bioinformatics groupe
tel:(+33) 3 88 65 32 71 | IGBMC BP 163 67404 Illkirch France