Re: [gtk-list] [Q] Internationalizaion

"Chang, Young-jae" <robocop@katana.kangwon.ac.kr> writes:

> Fisrt... I'm sorry for my terrible English..
>
> I want to use XIM in gtk applications..
> but I don't know what I have to do...

First, you have to tell GTK what locale you will be using
when you compile gtk.

  configure --with-locale=kr_KR

GTK will check to see if the locale is supported by the operating
system, and use the locale support from X, if necessary.

> Can you show me the way?
> Is there anybody who uses XIM ? I'm pretty rookie at X-windows ..
> so, Tell me detailed..
>
> I have Korean input method, and Korean fonts...

If these work with other programs, and your GTK program is
set up to be internationionalized, all you should have to do
is make sure that the LANG environment variable is set
to kr_KR before running a GTK application. Try this with
the gtk/testgtk program distributed with GTK.

To be properly set up for i18n, the GTK application must
call:

  gtk_set_locale ();

As the first thing in its main() function. Also, the program
needs to use a fontset. (Set of fonts for different codings.)
The easiest way to do this is for the program to have a rc
file. (see the tutorial for more information).

Then you can set up a default fontset for all widgets by
adding/changing the following lines in the gtkrc. (This
is from testgtkrc)

style "default"
{
  fontset = "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*,*"
}

You will better results by using a more specific fontset - you
probably can find one by looking at how other non-GTK programs
are set up for Korean.

> This is very important for me..

Let us know how it works.

Regards,