Re: [gtk-list] Re: threading

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> I agree with this whole-heartedly.  Speaking as someone who is a big
> user of threads, this is a must have in a windowing environment.  I was
> acutally under the impression that gtk was thread safe...is it?

Nope, and it would break a lot of stuff to make it thread-safe in the
"correct" manner. Maybe for Gtk 2.0, who knows.

<lame excuse>You only have one connection to the X server anyways, so why
try to have more than one process feeding that connection?</lame excuse>

Gtk doesn't preclude using threads - it's just that you need to make sure
that only one thread at a time is accessing Gtk stuff.

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"They don't let my code go into shipping products," Gates said. "They
 haven't done that for eight years." (at the 1997 PDC)