Re: [gtk-list] WM hints interface

>  I've been working some on putting more WM hint support
>  into GDK.
[snip]

Cool!  We can now have proper hints for our windows :-)

>  void          gdk_window_set_icon        (GdkWindow       *window,
>					     GdkWindow       *icon_window,
>  					     GdkPixmap       *pixmap,
>  					     GdkBitmap       *mask);

Does the icon_window need to be specified?  Can't it just be built
from the pixmap and mask?  Note that I read the window manager part
section of the ICCCM some weeks ago, so I may not remember all the
relevant issues.

>  void          gdk_window_set_decorations (GdkWindow       *window,
>  					     GdkWMDecoration  decorations);
>  void          gdk_window_set_functions   (GdkWindow       *window,
>  					     GdkWMFunction    functions);

Small change; the types of the masks should be gint or similar :-)

>  Which seems to cover most of the interesting things from the ICCCM
>  and Motif hints. I've split it up into separate pieces, figuring
>  it was worth sacrificing a bit of efficiency to gain a simple
>  interface, and the ability to add more things later without
>  going to gdk_window_set_wm_hints(), gdk_window_set_more_hints(),
>  gdk_window_set_even_more_hints()...

The separate functions sound perfectly fine to me.  They look like a
convenient way to set all interesting wm hints.

>  What's still to be done is to add support to GTK to make using
>  these convenient.
>
>   - An IconWindow widget needs to be created, since icon windows
>     have a lot of constraints on them that Window widgets violate.
>
>   - The "most useful" of the hints should be settable with functions
>     in the Window class - without having to force-realize the
>     widget first. What is "most useful" is up for debate.

What about having analogous functions for gtk_window that just test
whether the window is realized or not?  If not, it would just remember
the values and set them later on.

Good work!  I look forward to putting this in the handlebox and parts
of Gnome.

  Quartic