Re: Text widget problems.

henrik@studentit.hv.se writes:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> On 24 Feb, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > In the long term, yes. One of my goals for GTK 2.0 is to make it
> > work internally with Unicode, and to properly internationalize all
> > the widgets.
>
> Sounds very nice, what are the timetables here, I havent been on this
> list long enough to get a grasp on when GTK 1.0 is going to be released
> and what is going to happen after that ...

  0.99.4 - this Saturday
  0.99.5 - Mar. 6
  1.0    - Mar. 13

After that, ????

> > Short term, maybe, maybe not. It would be quite easy to modify the
> > Text widget to allow Swedish (etc.) characters to be
> > entered. Unfortunately, that change would also make it possible to
> > enter characters from the Asian CJK languages.
>
> Please make these changes :) I need it :)

I did it last night - it's in CVS now and will be in 0.99.4.
Didn't want to look like the ugly American... ;-)
(accents? who needs accents?)

> > While that may sound good, the problem is that the text widget has the
> > implicit assumption that one byte = one character, and the CJK
> > languages use variable width encodings. So, the result would be
> > display corruption, and possibly data corruption or core dumps.
>
> So its not possible to limit the damages of such changes to just allow
> latin1 characters?

That's what I've done. (Well - a bit more general than that - I've
just limited input methods to inserting one byte at a time; so
it should work with Greek, Cyrillic, etc. The preediting support
for CJK is there and looks nice - but just won't insert anything...)

Regards,
                                        Owen