Re: [gtk-list] newbie question on gdk

Vollmer Marius <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> wrote:

> Michael Beach <mbeach@zip.com.au> writes:
>
> > /*
> >  * hoax.c
> >  *
> >  * Some arbitrary hoaxing about with gdk, just to get a feel for it,
> >  * before I jump in and start trying to write any cute RScheme
> >  * interface.
> >  */
>
> By some lucky coincidence I stumbled across this reference to Scheme,
> and I just want to mention the Guile/Gtk bindings to you.

I'm glad you did. I was going to ask about this stuff directly on the
list, but was putting off doing it until I had some more sensible
questions to ask, as I've only spent a few hours actually going through
the gtk sources. I was going to look at the Guile/Gtk bindings next.

> There are available in the Gnome distribution... uh, oh, it has been
> split recently, and I'm not sure in which part they are now, something
> like gnome-guile, I think.  Or you could try
>
>     http://www.ping.de/sites/zagadka/guile-gtk/
>
> for an older version.

I've downloaded the GNOME stuff, a pre split version, and I was going to
look through it, but tried building GNOME first and had a few hassles. I
suspect they are something to do with having an older gtk library in the
RPMs from Red Hat 5. Will sort it out soon...

> Maybe you can use some of the code, or ideas, for your RScheme
> bindings.  But it would super cool if we could merge Guile and RScheme
> support somehow.  Maybe this can give some boost the the gh_ interface
> of Guile, which has been rumored to be available for RScheme also, I
> think.

gh_ support is pretty cursory afaik in RScheme at the moment; "proof of
concept" I believe is the term used in the source comments. But I
certainly agree; merging the Guile and RScheme support would be a
definite win.

Further to this, and since you bring up the whole issue, I have a couple
of questions about gtk and the Scheme support so far:

[1] I recall reading somewhere about a gtk.defs (I think I got that name
right) file, for providing defns for gtk types etc that is language
independent. Is this a mainstream part of gtk, ie part of the main
distrib? Is it autogenerated from gtk.h et al or is it maintained by
hand? How about generating gtk.h from it, or vice versa? Have you seen
SWIG? Do you think it could be useful here?

[2] The gtk reference counting stuff. I've seen bits of that in the
distrib. Is that up and happening, and getting everyday use, or is it
still on its way and a bit experimental? Is it meant to be particularly
related to Scheme (and other dynamic language) interfaces, or do you see
it as being pretty much orthogonal.

[3] I read somewhere that you (I think?) had a proposal for redesigning
the gtk type system. Again, is this related to Scheme, or is it
orthogonal.

----

When more time comes to hand, I'll study the code some more, and maybe
come back with some more concrete questions/proposals. Thanks.

Regards
M.Beach