Re: Cannot find iswctype (code in libc!) using i386-Linux

"Rob O'Connell" <oconnell@aida.physics.wisc.edu> writes:

> Hi All -
> in a nutshell my error is:
> .libs/libgtk.so: undefined reference to `iswctype'
>
> whilst making the library.
> iswctyoe is from libc and in the code that breaks if I add /lib/libc.so.5
> to it, it compiles...but I don't know "configure" very well, and so
> I haven't been able to fix this. (whoops should be iswctype at start of
> this sentence!)
>
> I'm trying gtk version 0.99.3, my libc version is:libc.so.5.4.38
>
> I've searched the archives and can't find this problem...but I'm running
> a fairly standard linux (Redhat 4.1 if I remember correctly...but some
> libs may have changed...but nothing too funky!)

This is a standard problem with recent libc5's. (They have a broken
wctype.h header file) The next version of GTK will check for this.

Here's a relevant excerpt from my response when this came up
a few weeks ago

=====
As a workaround, edit the file gdk/gdki18n.h, and change the line

#if (defined(HAVE_WCTYPE_H) || defined(HAVE_WCHAR_H)) && !defined(X_LOCALE)

#if 0

And do a 'make clean ; make'
=====

Regards,