Re: [gtk-list] Re: Should there be a gtk "canvas" widget?

Tom Tromey <tromey@creche.cygnus.com> writes:

> Tk widgets generally do use a temporary backing pixmap.  However, the
> canvas only makes a pixmap for the part that needs to be refreshed.
> Canvas items are required to be a little smart about refreshing (they
> have to know that they have to do a coordinate transform before
> drawing).

If I understand what you're saying, that's what I did in the little
sketchpad I'm working on.

> Tk canvases can also generate a PostScript representation of their
> contents.  Dunno if that's worth reproducing (I've certainly used it
> in the past...).

That's pretty important for me.  It's really useful when you're using
the widget for data display, and you need to be able to incorporate
"screenshots" in technical papers.  I have support for that in the
thing I've been playing with.  I know some PostScript, so I'd be happy
to help add that to whatever we end up with if I have the time.
GStrings make it pretty easy.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>