Re: CVS installation trouble

[ I'm CC'ing the automake-bugs address because, even if the problem
  is an incorrect installation, the error messages could definitely
  be improved ]

chrislee@lavash.ius.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> I successfully built the gtk+-0.99.3 distribution, but am having
> trouble configuring the CVS source version.  I am running IRIX 6.3,
> with a newly installed egcs compiler.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what may be happening to me?
>
> Here's what I get (using
>  Autoconf version 2.12
>  automake (GNU automake) 1.2d,
>  perl, version 5.004_04
>  ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.0h):
>
>  -Chris
>
> lavash.ius> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr0/space
> processing glib
> aclocal: macro `L_HOST at /usr0/space/bin/aclocal line 303, <CONFIGURE> line 11.
> aclocal: macro ` at /usr0/space/bin/aclocal line 303, <CONFIGURE> line 11.
> configure.in:57: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> configure.in:58: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> configure.in:59: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> configure.in:60: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> configure.in:61: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> processing .
> aclocal: macro `L_HOST at /usr0/space/bin/aclocal line 303, <CONFIGURE> line 29.
> aclocal: macro ` at /usr0/space/bin/aclocal line 303, <CONFIGURE> line 29.
> configure.in:204: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> configure.in:222: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> ./configure: Syntax error at line 574: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' unexpected

Odd... very odd. The warning were produced by a line:

	warn "aclocal: macro \`$macro' required but not defined\n";

And despite the fact that the \ before the ` is a refugee from
shell programming, I don't see why you're getting such a messed-up
error message.

The actual line in configure.in that is producing these errors is

AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

Without a detailed study of aclocal, I can't say exactly what is going
on, but my guess is that it may well not be finding things in the
$prefix/share/aclocal directory correctly. Perhaps you installed
libtool without setting --prefix=/usr0/space ?

Regards,
                                        Owen