selection_changed signal in gtktree widget

I'm getting behavior where if a treeitem is already selected
(ie - I've previously selected and it looks blue), and I
select it again with button 1, I get two selection_changed
signals.  When handling the first one the selection is empty,
and when handling the second one it contains the selection
as expected.

If I select a different item, I only get one selection_changed
signal, and the selection is as expected.

Is this the correct behavior?

-Marc