Re: Colormap Issue with Gtk99.3

Jay Bloodworth <jay@pathways.sde.state.sc.us> writes:

> On 3 Feb 1998, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > [ This really belongs on gtk-list ]
> >
> > Most interesting... could you provide the complete output
> > of xdpyinfo? Does the server actually provide 2048 slot colormaps
> > in pseudo-color mode? (That would be cool, but most unusual)
> >

> xdpinfo output below.  I don't really understand the vagueries of X color
> handling (color depths as opposed to visuals especially), so I couldn't
> tell you what it is really doing.

OK. It really looks to me like the 2048 is a bug in the server -

The X docs say

  "The color_map size member defines the number of entries available
   in a newly created colormap. For DirectColor and TrueColor this
   is the size of an individual pixel subfield"

Now this isn't crystal clear, but it seems to be saying that
this should be 256 for an 8-8-8 32 bit mode, which is
what you have.

(I'm still curious as to where that 2048 is coming from - as far
as I can tell there is nothing all that special about the 2D
characteristics of the Permedia chip - it can do 32 bit RGBA,
but I doubt the server can deal with that, and that wouldn't
be reported in this manner. Maybe it has a mode which can
do 32 bits as 11-11-10 and that just snuck into the description
for the standard 32 bit mode?)

But there also was a bug in the GDK code - it shouldn't have
been trying to query the colormap for a TrueColor mode, so
I've fixed that up.

Hardcoding 256 actually is wrong - the change in 0.99.3 was
made to support HP servers which have 255 color colormaps
(the last color is used for transparency) But it should
do as a work-around until the next version of GTK comes
out.

Regards,
                                        Owen