Re: [gtk-list] Re: Grrr. aclocal; automake; autoconf

    Owen> From: Daniel R Risacher <risacher@worldnet.att.net>

    >> So I tried to go bleeding-edge and start building the Gimp and
    >> Gtk from the CVS tree, but can't seem to navigate the maze of
    >> twisty little automagic files, all alike.  I believe that I
    >> have the recommended versions of automake, autoconf, and
    >> libtool, but it still doesn't work.  Is there some secret trick
    >> I'm missing?
    >>

    >> -Dan Risacher
    >>

    >> gtk+# aclocal; automake; autoconf aclocal: configure.in: 29:
    >> macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

    Owen> This seems to indicate that something went wrong with your
    Owen> libtool installation.

    Owen> It should have put a file libtool.am in the directory
    Owen> /usr/local/share/automake (depending on the prefix you
    Owen> specified) Perhaps you specified a different prefix for
    Owen> libtool and automake?

Hmm.  Yes.  Thank you.  I put all packages in places like
/usr/local/libtool-1.0h and then have a suite of scripts that make
symlinks from /usr/local/(bin|info|lib|...) into the appropriate
places.  This is a nice packaging trick from my days as a sunos
sysadmin back in the middle ages.

My first problem was that my script didn't expect more than one
package to install things in share/aclocal/.  This was trivially fixed
once I noticed it.

My second problem was that when you install automake it patches the
perl source of aclocal and automake to hard code the path to their
library as: $acdir = "${prefix}/share/aclocal"; so aclocal didn't see
/usr/local/libtool-1.0h/share/aclocal/libtool.am or
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.am.  This was more irritating, but
also easy to fix.  Might have been preventable with more magic in the
configure file for libtool, but probably not worthwhile.

Quite possibly, the README files for automake and libtool should have
a comment noting that they must have the same --prefix in order to
work.  Kinda ironic though, that the magic configuration packages
don't always configure themselves correctly.

Thanks again.

--
I wonder if man will walk on the moon in my lifetime?
Daniel Risacher                   magnus@alum.mit.edu