Re: Recommended Compiler/libraries

John Karcz <jsk29@cornell.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
>   I have an application that I'm planning to put together,
> using Gtk and probably CORBA.  I'm in the process of
> upgrading my libraries and compilers from glibc1.  What
> versions do you recommend to use with Gtk?  I have read that
> there are problems with libg++-2.8.0 and Linux... does anyone
> know if the egcs implementation gets around this, and if egcs
> will work well with Gtk?

For GTK, it really doesn't make a difference. For straight
C, pretty much anything goes. (If you are using gtk-- that
might be another story, I don't know)

For CORBA, if you are using a C++ ORB (MICO or OmniBroker),
I would recommend egcs-1.0.1. It's been out a bit longer than
gcc-2.8.0 and I've heard less reports of problems. (I'm
using it myself and it seems to work OK)

g++-2.7.x.x and glibc2 seem to be a bad-news combination -
I would avoid that. (But gcc-2.7.x.x works fine with glibc2,
at least for some values of x.x)

Regards,
                                        Owen