Need help

Hello,
I am a beginner of gtk+ and now working on a program with gtk+.
I want to do the following thing in my program. Though it is not
directly related to gtk+, I will have to solve it to run my gtk+ program fully
functional.

For example:
system("tgif filename");
where filename is a "variable" which retains the name of a file.

If I do as above it says filename is not found! Becuase system thinks
that "filename" itself is the name of the file.

Is there any way to pass arguments to the Xclient program in the system()
function call?  Or is there other way to do the same thing?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best regards,

--Takdir