Just a quick question on the GtkSocket widget...

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

>   How can I swallow an X app (not GTK+-based) in my GTK+ program?
>>  Is there a swallow widget, that would let me swallow a random X app, that
>>  might not be using GTK+ at all? As far as I see it, that would require
>>  writing a(nother) interface between GTK+ and X, to handle the events to and
>>  from that X app.
>
> You can use the GtkSocket widget for that.  It lets you specify an X
> window ID to swallow.  I have a horribly hacked Gnome panel applet
> that uses GtkSocket to swallow arbitrary windows:
>
>         http://www.redhat.com/~federico/hacks/saw.tar.gz
>
> It may or may not work :-)
>
>   Federico

I've been toying with the idea of writing a Window Manager with GDK/GTK,
and one of the issues I was going to go trudging through the source code
to find out was how I was going to embed the applications inside GTK
windows.

It looks like this widget solves that issue for me.  But it does bring
up a question - resizes a GTK toplevel window with an embedded window
will recieve resize signals to their new allocated size, correct?

Well, off to abuse the laser printer at work with reams of source
code...

Matthew