GTK+/GLib 1.1.8 and 1.1.9 don't work with RedHat 4.2?

Hello,

I have a more or less stock RedHat 4.2 libc 5 system.
I've been able to build and use every GTK+/GLib 1.1.x
release until 1.1.8.  The new releases build and install fine,
but it seems that when the event loop was moved outside
of GTK+ to within GLib starting in version 1.1.8
(and still in 1.1.9) no example programs function correctly
- with the sole exception of "examples/progressbar"
which has a timer.  Without this timer (started via
gtk_timeout_add), events (repaint, mouse-click, keyboard)
do not seem to get propogated to the GTK+ application at all.
If I add a dummy timer to other applications they will also
function (albeit in a very jerky way).

I've compiled/installed/run GTK+/GLib 1.1.8 and 1.1.9
with all combinations of XIM enabled/disabled and
gthreads enabled/disabled, but with no luck.

I think the event loop migration from Gtk to GLib is the
culprit.

Anyone else using libc 5 experiencing this problem
using 1.1.8 and 1.1.9?  (Versions 1.1.5, 1.1.6 and 1.1.7
work fine on my system)

Replies by email would be appreciated.

thanks,

-Andrew