Re: [gtk-list] proper install procedures.

"Reid, Rowan (GSP)" wrote:

> What is the correct install procedure for installing/compile the latest
> version of gtk with redhat 5.1 XFree 3.3.3
>
> I have been having a horrific time getting it to work.    I have the
> typical install for redhat.
> I successfully compiled the library (no error msgs) however gtk will not
> install, it complains that there is an older version library. running
> lconfig did not work.   what am I doing wrong
>
> Rowan [TSS]
> Gerber Scientific Products
> www.gspinc.com
>
> --

Hello,

It seems you have to remove the gtk-rpm installed with the Redhat 5.1. The
problem is that you have to remove a lot of packages because of the
dependances beetween them. You will have to remove gtk, control-panel, and
some others. Try "rpm -e gtk" and you will see what depends on it, remove it.
Once you have finished. You may install the latest version of gtk (1.1.9).
It's possible that certain program will not run after that. Like The Gimp, for
instance.

Good luke

Patrick