RE: [gtk-list] Re: gtk_label and internationalisation question

Hi,

On 18-Dec-98 Ionutz Borcoman wrote:

>  So:
>  1. can I put some Japanese text in my source code (I'm using XEmacs +
>  SKK) ? How ?

If you look at how I was doing it, you can do something like: "\x24\x22"
(hiragana "A"), where in general \xHH inserts a (hex) character HH in
a way that won't choke the compiler. You don't need the escapes, just
the raw JIS codes.

>  2. is there a simpler way to introduce Japanese text in Labels, etc ?
>  Even without locale support ? If locale support is correct set, how do I
>  do this ?

I leave this one to the experts :P

>  3. can a Label have mixed Japanese/Romaji text ? Last time I have try
>  this, I was forced to switch between fonts and therefore, the only
>  widget usable for this was the textbox. No way to do this with Labels
>:-(

There is one place in the EDICT app where this would be useful, and the
closest I came to a solution was to have several labels packed in an
hbox, split at the places where different fonts were required. I
haven't actually tried it yet, so I don't know quite how well that
would work in practise. You are right that in general a label can have
only one style...

Cheers,
-Matt.

"The results of this intrusion into your life will be used 'responsibly'
in ways you cannot even begin to imagine. Of course, the innocent have
nothing to fear from the rapidly expanding data industry."
 - Radiohead, Airbag/How Am I Driving?