./autogen problems

I got gettext. I set ACLOCALFLAGS as you can see below so
the .m4 files would be found.

Here is what it looks like when I run ./autogen.sh

[tdukes@localhost gtk+]$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/tdukes/devel
Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
sed: can't read aclocal.m4: No such file or directory
You should update your own `aclocal.m4' by adding the necessary
macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
the directory `/aclocal'
aclocal: /home/tdukes/devel/share/aclocal/gtk.m4: 7: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GTK'
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/glib.m4: 8: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GLIB'
aclocal: /usr/local/share/aclocal/gtk.m4: 7: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GTK'
configure.in:158: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:159: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:351: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:158: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:159: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:351: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 579: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,
$VERSION, no-define)'

Now type 'make' to compile Gtk+.
[tdukes@localhost gtk+]$ echo $ACLOCAL_FLAGS
-I /home/tdukes/devel/share/aclocal -I /usr/local/share/aclocal
[tdukes@localhost gtk+]$

Where should I look to figure out what is wrong?

All that is in config.log is

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

Which is not much help for me.

thanks,
Todd.

Todd & Lisa Dukes