A new 'gtktreeitem' widget proposal and some problems...

I am trying to create a widget that inherits from the 'gtktreeitem'
widget, but I have run into a wall and desparately need some guidance.
Below are the attached widgets. I am attempting to make a tree item
widget
that allows the user to specify their own pixmap for both the collapsed
and expanded states of the item, but in addition to the '+' and '-'
pixmaps
used for the tree navigation. In addition to this functionality the
user can also specify the order of the label and pixmap in the container
of the item.

The first version worked fine except I kept getting the 'creation of
pixmap with NULL window' warnings. I tried to understand the way the GDK
draws X windows, but could not eliminate the warnings.

The second version I decided to use the method used in 'gtktreeitem'
for dealing with the pixmaps and the warnings dissapeared, but I had to
override the 'realize' procedure and therefore the '+' and '-' pixmaps
associated with the parent class are not drawn because of the override.

I would be very interested to hear from some of the GTK+ architects (and
anyone else of course) if they feel this would be a useful widget
addition
or not. Regardles, I still would like help in completing the one I am
working on. Thank you VERY much for your input.

Steve

widget.tar.gz