Re: [gtk-list] potential problems with malloc/free vs. C++ new/delete ???

>   gchar **text;
>   text = new gchar*[8];
>   for (i=0; i<8; i++) {
>     text[i] = new char[100];
>   }
>         // set values of text[i]
>   gtk_clist_insert(clist, location, text);

> Should I instead be using malloc and free (or the glib wrappers) for
> any allocation for gtk even though my program has to use new and
> delete for the C++ class alocations?

If there already isn't, there should be a gtk_alloc/gtk_free pair that
you should use for any allocations that gtk will use, and for any
deallocations of gtk-allocated memory you will do. This is similar to
Xt's XtMalloc and XtFree, which merely wrap malloc/free. This way, there
is no question as to which api to use.

In the time being, if gtk uses malloc/free then you should do so as well
for gtk-related memory as above. It's best not to take chances!

-Paul

--
Paul T. Miller                | paul@elastic.avid.com
Principal Engineer            | Opinions expressed here are my own.