Carriage Return/Line Feed in GTK Text Box

I am using a gtk text box in an application where I write characters one at
a time as they are received over a network connection. Here's my
gtk_insert_text line:

gtk_text_insert(GTK_TEXT(text_box),NULL,NULL,NULL,buff,1);

Here are some earlier declarations:

char buff[5];
GtkWidget *main_text_box;
main_text_box = gtk_text_new (NULL,NULL);

When I try to insert a carriage return / line feed nothing happens. Any help
in how to handle this so that CR/LF acts "normally" would be greatly
appreciated.

Ray Crampton
cramptor@amp.com