Re: [gtk-list] does gdk_input_add work at all?

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Tommi Leino wrote:

> Once upon a time I got gdk_input_add to work with sockets, but now as I try
> to make it work with a normal file descriptor, it crashes. The code is
> something like this,
>
>   int fd;
>
>   fd = open ("/somepath/somefile.txt", O_RDONLY);
>   gdk_input_add (fd, GDK_INPUT_READ, "input_callback", NULL);
>
>   gtk_main();
>   close (fd);
>
> It seems like it crashes right after the system realizes that there is data
> to read in the fd and doesn't even reach the input_callback, so there can't
> be problem with that.

I am using gdk_input_add just fine with sockets, and I assume files will
work just as well.  Are you putting "input_callback" in quotes?  That
argument is a GdkInputFunction, NOT a char *.  Try the following:

gdk_input_add( fd, GDK_INPUT_READ, (GdkInputFunction) input_callback, NULL );

and see if that fixes your problem.

Later,

Jeremy Wise
jwise@pathwaynet.com