Deleting GTK objects?? (Gtk--)

Here's the one thing I can't seem to find in the documentation.  If it's
there could somebody please point it to me?

I need to open an Gtk window, and then close it, getting rid of all the
widgets therein, while leaving the application running.  Windows need to
open and close.

I'm doing this in C++ with Gtk--.  So far, I've tried a few things, all of
which cause a "** ERROR **: sigsegv caught".  What I have is a class which
is derived from (among other things) Gtk_Window.  In this window are two
containers, a clist, and five buttons.  There is associated data.  I need
to close the window and get rid of all the Gtk objects.  This should be
done (at least) a as a callback from a press on one of the buttons.  What
is the right way to go about doing this?

I've tried calling an external function which executes the object's
destructor, to no avail.

This certainly doesn't seem to be documented with Gtk--, and I also can't
find any straight Gtk+ documentation on this.  Most of the examples tend
to just open a single window, which gets naturally cleaned up when the
program exits.

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

-Rob

==== Rob Knop ===== rknop@lbl.gov ====== http://panisse.lbl.gov/~rknop ======