Re: [gtk-list] Re: DOCUMENTATION (yes, this is shouted)

* Elliot Lee

| I'm not arguing against documentation! (I try to comment my functions, but
| that is only to balance against its occasional ugliness ;-)  I just think
| that what you specifically want to do can be done easily by reading the
| header files.

Just one question: would it not be faster for a programmer which is
new to a library to have a proper reference manual which one can
lookup, other than to read all the dang header files?

I really don't understand why a programmer has to read the source of a
library he's using when he is only doing standard stuff and nothing
fancy? I would never get anything done if I had to read the GTK,
mysql, php3, perl etc source code to understand how to utilise these!

It should be bloody simple to make a small condensed commenting format
for each function which could be parsed through perl (or something
similar) and producing an updated reference manual ready for
printing/browsing.

Other than that if thank you all for your effort in making GTK, but
please don't make documentation a non-issue.

--
Preben Randhol                        The absurd is the essential concept
http://www.pvv.org/~randhol           and the first truth.       -- Camus