Can't Install GTK+ 1.1.1

OK, I've downloaded GTK+ 1.1.1... Everything compiles fine, get some
sort of virtual memory exhausted message while it's installing info
files (every time, no matter what I do), but all the libs seem to
install fine. But, when I try and compile a program (right now the
gnome-libs package) that checks for it, I'm greeted with a wonderful
message like:

checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.1... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: GTK not installed

I've tried everything I can think of.... I've gotten rid of all traces
of GTK/GDK, then reinstalled.... didn't work. Get rid of all traces of
GTK 1.0.5... Didn't work. Installed GTK 1.1.1 along with 1.0.5... Get a
message saying that the headers don't match, or about how an older
version was found and to install the later version.

I've run ldconfig, tinkered with links, etc.... Nothing seems to work.
So, what does it take to completely uninstall GTK+ on a Slackware (3.5)
system, so that I can try a fresh install? Any ideas on how to fix this
problem are also welcome....

---
------>> Scott Billings <<-------
-----------==========------------