Text boxes and gtk_widget_realize()?

I was attempting to insert text into a text box when the program crashed
with an error about realizing the text box widget.  However, when I did
that, it created a separate window for the text box... not the effect I
was looking for.  Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Text = gtk_text_new (NULL, NULL);

.
. pack, etc.
.

gtk_widget_realize (Text);

gtk_text_insert (GTK_TEXT (Text), NULL, NULL, NULL, "test", -1);

This _WORKS_ but not how I want it to.  It'll create another window.

Any suggestions?