Argh: DND madness

I'm using drag-n-drop in an app I'm working on, but it's been...
troublesome.

First, I'm using the Python interface, so I modeled off of the dnd demo in
testgtk.py. And in fact I now have it so I can drag from one button to
another, delivering a nice MIME multipart/form-data. So what is the
problem?

Initially, I was trying to drag a frame over to a button, instead of a
button to a button. This seemed like it ought to work: The drag-n-drop
properties are widget properties; frames and buttons are widgets;
therefore, it ought work, right? The signals connect up just fine to the
frame, I start dragging and the cursor changes to... whatever, the drag
thingy..., and when I get to the drop zone, it turns into a heart, and
when I release the mouse button: nothing. But, I stick a button in that
frame, connect it, etc. instead of the frame, then it works just fine.

But I don't particularly want this button in my frame if I can avoid it
(it presently contains a word which succinctly summarizes my frustration;
feel free to imagine what it is); I'd rather just drag the frame, as I
have a form of various data fields and the drop-n-drag is moving all the
data. It just seems more intuitive. Eventually I want to drag from frame
to frame.

So... Should this work or not? Obviously at 2:05am I could be overlooking
something.

For the record, my window is structured like this:

window( vbox( notebook( frame+( vbox( drag-button
                                      table
                                    )
                              )
                      )
              entry
              hbuttonbox( button drop-button )
             )
      )

(frame+ = one or more frames, each on a notebook page)  To summarize:
drag-button to drop-button works. If I try to set the frame to drag
(switch code from drag-button to frame), visually appears to work,
produces no errors, but nothing drops.

--
Andy Dustman                                 WW           Charles Babbage:
ComStar Communications Corp.                 BB       He never used Linux,