Newbie with some low level questions

I just started looking at GTK recently. The tutorial is good, but I
really what to do more low level stuff.

What I'd like to be able to do is to place widgets in containers without
any sort of window management happening. I'd like to be able to position
the widgets within the containers and to control the widgets size. I'm
not worried about what happens when the container resizes (though I'd be
interested in getting a signal when it happens). I'd also would like to
get the graphics context of particular widgets so that I can draw basic
shapes on the widgets.

I am currently trawling my way through the source, but any help at all
would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Doug South
--