Re: [gtk-list] Re: GC and GTK+

On 21 Apr 1998, Vollmer Marius wrote:

> Anyway, what I would suggest as a viable approach is to make Gtk+ more
> friendly to `tracing' collectors.  It should not implement such an
> tracing collector itself, but it should provide enough hooks and
> information to make it possible to combine the ref_counting of Gtk
> with a tracing collector.
[...]
> Additionally, Gtk needs to be able to enumerate all `foreign' objects
> that have been handed to it (essentially all things that now have a
> DestroyNotify).

An interesting idea, and one that ties nicely into the field that I've
been concentrating on: interpreter binding. In several places (pointers in
signal arguments, and data in objects) pointers are held without type
information. Keeping full type descriptors would help both a GC
enumerator, and interpreters.