Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk+-1.0.0 - examples compile but don't run

> I believe that this is a gcc-2.8.0 problem.  __register_frame_info
> is defined in libgcc.a, which may not be linked properly.
> The solution in my case was to switch to egcs 1.0.2.  :)
>:}    ld.so.1: ./helloworld: fatal: relocation error: file ./helloworld:
>:}    symbol __register_frame_info: referenced symbol not found
>:}Has anyone seen something similar, and if so, what's the fix?
>:}I compiled with gcc 2.8.0 and gnu make 3.76.1.

I had a similar problem on Solaris 2.6, compiling with gcc 2.7.2.3,
although the problem (I think) actually showed up at link time, not
run time.

I compiled all the libs and .o's with gcc, but when the time came to
link the executables, it somehow managed to link them using "cc -o ..."
instead of "gcc -o ...". I have the Sun C compiler on my system, so the
use of "cc" actually picked up /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc to do the linking.

The result was that the final executable was linked against a run-time
support library that didn't properly match the .o's and libraries. I got
an unresolved reference which I tracked down in libgcc.a.

Someone else mentioned mixing different versions of gcc (2.7 and 2.8).
this is another possibility. I think it's *got* to be caused by using
different compilers for different stages of the compilation.

Now, you *should* be able to mix compilers with no problems. I have, in
the past, successfully compiled large systems with different parts of it
compiled/linked with a mixture of compilers. However, there are some
obscure cases where things like the above will happen, but I haven't yet
worked out the exact reasons.

Allan

P.S. FWIW it actually happened while I was compiling Gnome, not GTK.

ARB