Re: problems upgrading from 0.99.8 to 1.0

brian martin <brian@cats.ucsc.edu> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> First off, I'm quite happy that gtk has finally hit the revered 1.0.
> Things such as binary and source compatibility are indeed nice things to
> have when possible.
>
> This brings me to another point..  I thought that 1.0 was supposed to be
> at least source compatible back to somewhere around 0.99.6.  I'm writing a
> gtk application (with gtk--) that is exhibiting some strange behavior with
> gtk 1.0.  It works fine with 0.99.8 and gtk-- 0.8.0, but when I install
> 1.0, run ldconfig, recompile and run my app, it dumps tons of errors and
> then segfaults after showing the first two windows (out of four).
>
> Here's the last few errors (out of a total of 377):

The last few errors are the ones leak likely to be useful. As
soon as GTK starts producing such warnings, it means something
has gone drastically wrong. So you want to identify the portion
of your code that first produces such warnings.

(Usually these warnings indicate that you are passing bad pointers
into GTK, or pointers to freed memory.)

In general gtk-1.0 is quite compatible with earlier versions,
so this problem probably indicates that something in your program
is wrong. (Or possibly a new bug was introduced into GTK)

Without knowing what your program does, its quite hard to guess
what could be wrong. You can go back and check the release
announcements, for 0.99.9 and 0.99.10, which mention any potential
incompatibilties. But as far as I recall, the only problems that
should occur happen if you are creating your own widgets.

Regards,
                                        Owen