Re: [gtk-list] keyboard support

Philipp Kaeser <furball@space.ch> writes:
> i'm about to develop an application using the gtk. it looks
> pretty nice to me, being quite usable using the mouse.
>
> however, iīve noticed using several systems and different
> program, that using keyboard is much faster and more efficient
> than always taking hands off keyboard to move and click the mouse.
>
> using gtk, I was therefore quite surprised that it doesnīt
> seem to support the keyboard adequately; eg. it isnīt possible
> to reach the menubar by standard "alt" (or meta) or "f10" key
> pressings, nor using anything common like "alt-f" etc.

You can change the key bindings of all menus in runtime. I think its
recommended that people learn direct keypresses and not some alt + 20
times cursor key :)

(like take mouse atop of menu item and press some key... it'll change
the keyboard accelerator...)

> you may think iīm senile, i think itīs rather bad... :)

Yes, there's better way to do it :)

> is keyboard support planned, did it get forgotten, are all
> gtk-users mouse-addicts, do I need to rewrite the whole
> stuff?

There is keyboard support, builtin in all apps. :) (I think only think
the apps need to do with menus are to provide way to save the keyboard
accelerators...)

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --