Re: [gtk-list] Re: Installation Phun

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Michael Beach wrote:
> Antony Bowers wrote:
> >
> > I run Red Hat 5.0 (as I suspect do many others on this list). There are
> > programs in the standard RH5.0 distribution (such as control-panel) that
> > depend on an early version of gtk+. I presume these will break if I
> > overwrite this early version with the latest.
>
> What you could do is use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify the search path for
> dynamic libraries, and ensure that the directory with the latest gtk+
> libs in it appear earlier than /usr/lib which will have the ones from
> the RPM. Simply set this variable in your shell when doing gtk+ hacking,
> or in a wrapper shell script when running the GIMP etc.

Thanks for this suggestion.

What I did was to move all the RH5 gtk libs from /usr/lib to /usr/lib/old,
and make a wrapper for control-panel that set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
latter directory. I then installed the new gtk+ stuff in /usr/local, and
added /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.

Works perfectly. Now I have both the latest gimp and the control panel
working together.

Cheers,

   Anton

Antony Bowers, Department of Computer Science, University of Bristol, UK.
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~bowers/