RE: [gtk-list] Changing the background color of a text-area widg

You need to create and assign a style to the widget, using something like this
to create it:
        style = gtk_style_new ();

Then assign the background color you want to it:
        style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] = style->white;

This will make it white, then just attach the style to the widget:
        gtk_widget_set_style (textwidget, style);

You'll probably want to check into the style functions a little more, but you
get the idea.. Hope this helps..