[gtk-list] Re: GtkObject ref counting

Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de> writes:

> I think "destroying" should be the act of completely erasing the
> existence of the object.  The "destroy" signal is emitted, the object
> draws its last breath and the memory is reused for something
> different.  This can only happen when nobody is using this object any
> longer.  To ensure this, we keep a reference count.  There is no
> explicit destroy request; the object is implicitly destroyed when the
> reference count drops to zero.

I forgot to add that getting widget off the screen is not the same as
destroying it.  removing a widget from the screen is not a resource
management issue and there should of course be explicit request to do
so and they shuld be honored all the time, without regard to the
reference counting.  But I can't say more about this right, as I don't
know what the difference is between showing, mapping and realizing a
widget.  One of these operation should be ablt to do the trick, I
think.