GTK-- easy enough for beginners?

I am interested in learning to program with GTK but I am more
knowledgeable with c++ than with c. The question I want to raise is if
there is a tutorial on using GTK-- or can I use Ian's with a little
modification. Is there a big difference between GTK+ with C and GTK-- with
C++? This is my first X tool kit I'm trying to learn. Is GTK-- stable and
advanced enough for a beginner X programmer to learn?

thanks for any response and any pointers to info

- ricardo@calvin.net