Re: [gtk-list] Re: Reference counting

Kenneth Albanowski wrote:
> Nonsense, IMO. Each GUI kit (and all libraries, for that matter) have
> their own "contracts" with the programmer, and there aren't many libraries
> where you can free() objects willy-nilly and expect everything to work
> perfectly. Reference counting is a reliable, portable technique that many
> libraries use (and virtually all interpreters use), that if _well
> integrated_ with the Gtk library, should be mostly transparent.

hmmm.. I think I've been misunderstood.
I didn't say not to use reference counting, I said that if we use
ref counting *and* free(), we'll have to use ref counting as a default,
and use free() only for special cases. Mixing ref. count. *and* free
without that may be too confusing for new users.

Sorry, english is not my natural language...

Patrice.