Re: [gtk-list] Dial widget tutorial

> I've been trying to follow the Dial Widget section of the tutorial,
> and have been successful in getting the gtkdial.h and gtkdial.c files
> in what seems like working order.  I tried making a dial with the
> following little program, and although a dial gets displayed, there is
> no pointer displayed and mouse actions all seem to be ignored.

Just as a pointer, the full source code and an example are available
from:

 http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~otaylor/gtk-gimp/tutorial

Probably, either the source there should be made available in the same
place as the tutorial, or a pointer should be added to tutorial.

> I suspect that I've overlooked something that will be obvious to the
> more experienced Gtk'ers, but I sure don't see what it is.  Can I ask
> for a hint?

>   dial = gtk_dial_new(NULL);
                        ^^^^

Try giving the dial an explicit adjustment. (See the example pointed
to above.) Although the dial does create an adjustment if you pass
NULL, it has an empty range causing the problems you are seeing.

Just in anybody is inspired to try the TicTacToe widget as well, a
simple change GTK_ARG_NONE => GTK_TYPE_NONE is needed in the
example. (The change to the text will be a bit more complicated, since
it will explaining something about the new type system. I'll get
around to it eventually.)

Regards,
                                        Owen