About the About Box

The bug in the about dialog is much harder to find than I thought.  For
those of you who are unaware of this bug, the names don't scroll in the
widget at the bottom of the About box in the Gimp.

Someone mentioned they thought it was a bug in the gtk timing code.  This
could be, because I heard it mentioned that some changes are ultimately
handled in idle handlers.  But I don't really think so, because placing a
g_print in the redrawing code shows that the function is being called.
Furthermore, if you change the code to draw straight to the window instead
of drawing to a pixmap and copying to the window, it works correctly.

I thought that this might have to do with a lack of memory, but this bug
manifests itself on machines with plenty of memory.  Perhaps it is a
server problem, like the pixmap is not created correctly, but there
doesn't seem to be any differences between the systems that it works on
and those it doesn't to justify this.

There is most likely something wrong with the pixmap code somewhere,
although there are no obvious bugs.  Perhaps GDK sometimes chokes on the
NoExpose events generated.  That would be easy to test by changing the GC
to not generate NoExpose events.  Humm.  I hadn't thought of that.

None of these are very likely explanations.  Something wrong is going on,
and that something doesn't happen when the windows are drawn to directly.
It's such a minor bug, but it still needs to be fixed, because someone
might want to do the same thing for some important application.

nathan