Re: [gtk-list] Re: Proposal fort GTK bindings

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997 12:38:18 -0700, Neil Schemenauer wrote:

	>>  The class hierarchy would be relatively flat for now. I
	>> don't think there is a need to expose abstract classes in
	>> gtk (gtk_box for example) in Python.

	n> The add method is found from the Python Container object,
	n> which Window is a decendent of.  Also connect is a method
	n> of the Object object (perhaps I should change the method
	n> name to signalConnect to be more consistant with my name
	n> translations).

The methods of abstract base classes will of course be exposed. That's
not the same as exposing the abstract base classes themselves.

Unless somebody is going to extend the abstract base classes in
*Python*, I don't see a reason why they should be made visible.

In the model that I had in mind, most people would write widgets in C
and bind them to Python, though in a small number of cases, for rapid
development reasons, people would develop compound widgets in Python,
but wouldn't need access to low level stuff (abstract base class)
written in C.

	-Arun