[gtk-list] Re: gtk_container_check_resize performance

Words Of Raph Levien:

>P.S. I've taken a tour through the size negotiation section of gtk
>(gtk_container_check_resize, size_request, and size_allocate). I feel like
>I _almost_ grok it - it's complicated! I will stop yammering about it for
>now, accept the fact that the first release of gzilla will have
>performance problems, then do a thorough review later, with the goal of
>getting size negotiation and redraw calls down to an absolute minimum.
>One thing is starting to become clear: gzilla will be a serious stress
>test of gtk+.

I do have the feeling that much of the stuff I'm going to try and do
I'm going to get hung up on for a while.

>P.P.S. I have found on my own the answers to two of the questions I
>posted earler. First, the gtk_window_set_policy call does what I want
>regarding making the html window fully resizable. Second, the best way
>for the html widget to find out the size of its containing scrolledwindow
>(which is needed to control the set width of wrapped text) is to connect
>a little function to the scrolledwindow's size_allocate signal. This
>function subtracts a nice safety margin from the scrolledwindow's size,
>then hands it to the html to force a rewrap, if necessary.

Sounding very sweet.

On a somewhat possibly related topic, what is the possibility of a
text widget that can contain other widgets like the text bloat in TK?

--
Shawn T. Amundson		University of Minnesota
Systems Administration	 	Computer Science System Staff

Count your friends, it won't take long; including yourself, you'll
find you only have one; you better have fun. -- Cathrine