color handling.

Hi all

I am a gtk newbie, and I am having big trouble climbing the steep
learning curve. I have found out that I should use menu_factory instead
of menu functions for my menus, but now I am stuck with another problem
that i can't seem to get a grip on.

What I need is to draw a table of entries something like a spreadsheet
on a drawing area. I have made the area and I am able to draw rectangles
and strings using gdk_draw_rectangle and gdk_draw_string, but I can't
get the background colors to change the way I need. I need only 4-5
different background colors and the text need only be in black or white.
Maybe I should do something with gtkstyle but what ???
If anyone could send me a couple of ideas, I feel like I have read many
thousend lines of c code and haven't found the solution yet.

Best regards
Allan Jacobsen

PS. I am one of the people that look forward to docs not witten in c.