Re: [gtk-list] gdk_fork() or the like ?

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Adam D. Moss wrote:

> Ian Main writes:
>  > I'm just wandering what y'all think of a gtk/gdk (I figured gdk cause it's
>  > not really a widget thing..) fork call that will create a child that has
>  > no affiliation with X for doing multi-threaded programming.
>
> I have only minimally forked around with 'threaded' X, but I think
> that if you do an XSync just before you fork, then don't do anything
> Xy in the forked process, you're safe.  I'm sure that someone will
> quicky correct me if I'm wrong.  ;)

Hmm.. I took a look a the way the gimp does plugins, they fork(), and then
use _exit() when done (or on error).  In my code, I fork off a process
(for dns lookup), it closes all it's fd's except for the pipes, and uses
_exit.  No error messages so I'm happy :)

Just in case someone else was interested..

Ian